There does not appear any substantiation behind most of these “rumors” so I think we’re pretty much in the realm of pure speculation. But why not. Macworld’s predictions for Watch 3″:
- New watch released in September 2017, possibly with a “2s” type of name
- 4 and 8GB storage tiers
- New colors, or less likely a more drastic design change
- A magnetic “multi-function” band/strap that can function as a stand
- A circular display(?!)
- Cellular connectivity
A few more ideas from LearnBonds:
- Switching to an LCD, or, more interestingly, a micro-LED display
- A larger display
(Obviously both sites go on about the possibility of a new processor and improved battery life.) Here are my hardware predictions/wish-list:
- I sure hope they just go with numbers and leave this “2s” stuff for the iPhone.
- I think it’s time for a redesign. The current all-rounded look is kind of a showpiece for curved glass, but I think a flat top and a bit of a metal top bezel would look nice.
- A damned brightness sensor.
- If Android Wear watches with 4G cellular connections turn out to be a thing that works well, it would be crazy for Apple not to have it in the next Watch.
- No idea about the cameras. They can include a camera (or two) anytime they want. But look at your watch: there is no FaceTime camera possible without a bezel, and there is no forward-facing camera (it would have to point out of the top of the watch) possible without increasing the size of the watch in some way.
- (Update:) If not some sort of always-on or almost-always-on mode, at least moves in that direction. For example, if they had that brightness sensor, the watch could turn its face on much more aggressively based on movement without being jarring.